What have I gotten myself into?

|
So last Wednesday, my boyfriend of 2 years proposed. The proposal was romantic and surprising, and I couldn't be more excited about the prospect of marrying my long-time beau. We've spent the past several days celebrating, including going back to Austin (where we met) to share our joy with friends and my family. And then, after several sleep-deprived days and many congratulations, it hit me...

Oh, crap. Now I have to plan a wedding.

I've always been a small wedding kind of gal, but as you all are probably aware, you don't always get the wedding you want. I'm a Texas girl who fell in love with an Oregon boy, and while a Texan and an Oregonian may wed, the real question is, "Where will they tie the knot?" There are a number of logistical problems with getting all of our family members in the same place at the same time, so we've devised a compromise: two receptions on opposite sides of the country, and one private ceremony far away from all the family so there are no complaints of favoritism.

It's exciting, but it's going to be a lot of work...and I'm not entirely sure where to get started.

I've got a list of things I need to figure out in the near future (hopefully by the start of November):
  • Location for ceremony
  • Location for reception 1 and reception 2
  • Dates for all of the above
  • Budget for all of the above
From there, I'll start thinking more in depth about catering and decor and guest lists. I think we've got the locations for the receptions: reception 1 will be at a lodge back home near my parents' house, and reception 2 will probably be at Kellen's grandmother's in Seattle. The ceremony, though, is a bit of a mystery. I'm not even sure what country it's going to be in yet, much less any specifics.

So I decided to start this blog to chart my journey through planning a wedding that is turning out to be far more complicated than I ever expected. I'm excited, though, that I'm going to get to share this with the most amazing person I've ever had the good fortune to meet, and all our friends and family, in all parts of the world.

Items accomplished so far:
  • Got engaged (w00t!)
  • Announced the engagement to our families
  • Picked one reception site
  • Bought a planning binder!
  • Might have a dress (Yes, already. And, yes, that's another story for another time.)

0 comments: